Five Simple Steps for the Perfect Super Bowl Party
It’s game time in New York! For the fifth time ever, the NY Giants are heading to the Super Bowl. XLVI is sure to be an exciting game as the NY Giants take on the New England Patriots. If you are hosting the game at your house this year, here are a few tips to make it spectacular. Five simple steps to show your guests what a super woman you are:
(1) Beverages! Beer, beer, beer! Have lots of it available and ask your guests to bring beverages if possible. The basics will do- Corona, Budweiser, Heineken, or whatever you like. No Sam Adams!… unless you’re a Patriots household. Be sure to have some light beer available, as well. Many women (and some men) do not drink beer. Try these fancy Beer-garitas to add some creativity to the beer spread:
- Fill pitcher half way up with ice.
- Slowly pour beer over the ice. It will foam up so a slow pour is essential.
- Add tequila, Orange juice and frozen lime aid.
- Stir well to blend all ingredients.
- Pour salt out on to a small plate.
- Take a lime wedge and rub it around the rim of the glasses.
- Dip glasses upside down into the salt plate to coat the rim.
- Stand glasses upright and fill with Beer-garita concoction from the pitcher.
- Garnish with a wedge of lime!
Click here for more Super Bowl party drinks.
(2) Food! Pizza, wings, and vegetables trays are the perfect food combination for Super Bowl parties. Fancy is not completely necessary for Super Bowl parties, but if you want to up the ante a little bit, go for finger foods. Trader Joes is a great place to start for fresh, flavorful finger foods. They have cheese, frozen finger foods and fresh deli items that make perfect cocktail foods. Balance rich, highly flavored foods with simple, fresh items, and try to include at least one or two low-calorie vegetable dishes. Sliced veggies, cup cakes, chips, dip, and guacamole are all perfect additions to a Super Bowl spread. Lay your fantastic spread out on bright, team-colored serving trays.
Here are some simple tips for serving finger foods:
- Add parsley or romaine lettuce for garnish.
- Cater for about 7 to 8 pieces of finger food per person. That means if you have 20 guests, you’ll need 4 to 5 platters of food, depending on their size.
- Add team-colored napkins, candles, ice, fresh flowers (to your liking) to enhance your display.
- Make sure trash receptacles are easy to find, but discretely placed.
(3)Ambiance! The ambiance at a Super Bowl party should be full of energy and fun. Your guests and the sounds of the game will generally create the ambiance. If you like, you can create a playlist of exciting Super Bowl music to play in the background or during commercials/ down time.
(4) Decor! Yes, the Super Bowl is mostly about the game… and drinks… and food. But, it never hurts to add a feminine touch. I love these football flower bouquets (see right). You can also transform an old card table into a football field with masking tape. Use a green table cloth as your field and then use white masking tape to mark off the yard lines and hash marks so that the runner looks like a football field. Team colored balloons are also fun.
(5) Entertainment! Unfortunately, everyone is not into football. Also, there are some people who don’t mind having their attention divided during the game. Have a dry-erase board available for those who are interested in playing betting games. Spades, Catch Phrase, and Scrabble are fun, low-maintenance games that you can put out (or have your guests bring) to add to the excitement of the day.
Do these things and add your unique, super woman touch and you will certainly have a blast this Sunday. I hope you do!
Rah! Rah! Rah!,
The Classic Diva