The Perfect Steak
Here’s a few tips to make sure your steak tastes as good as mine. 😉
1. Buy a good steak – the better the quality, the better it will taste.
I prefer porterhouse and t-bone steaks as they have a good fat to meat ratio. My mom loves filet mignon. All high quality, tasty cuts.
2. Let your steak rest for at least an hour before cooking. Steak panics/freaks out and will toughen up if you put it into a hot pan directly from your fridge.
Use this time to season your steak (unless you prefer to marinate it overnight – yum, flavor!!!). In any event, I suggest using a rub consisting of season salt, pepper, fresh garlic, a dash of paprika.
And, here’s how to cook that steak to perfection:
1. Pre-heat oven on broil (~450 degrees)
2. Heat cast iron pan with some Pam or a bit of vegetable oil until it is piping hot.
A good steak calls for use of both the stove top and the oven. Cast iron pans are great because they can also go in the oven!! Multi-use items (and multi-tasking for that matter) make this Diva smile! 🙂
2. Pan sear steak for 2-3 minutes on each side and finish off in the oven for 10 minutes.
10 minutes in the oven will get your steak to medium-well – adjust broil time +/- 3 minutes according to how “cooked” you want your steak to be.
3. Serve with a salad, some steamed veggies, or your side of choice and enjoy!
The Trendy Diva